Fine Large-format Photograph of the Treasury Building, "a national landmark and the leading classical revival structure in our nation’s capital"
(TREASURY BUILDING, WASHINGTON, D.C.). Treasury Building
no publisher, 1870s
Albumen print, mounted. 14 x 7 1/2 in. Mount darkened, some darkening and minimal surface wear to image, but generally in very good condition.
This striking photograph shows the South (1855-1861) and West (1857-1864) wings of the Treasury Building. The White House is opposite the Treasury, across the street seen at the left in this photograph.
“The West Wing of the U.S. Treasury building, the largest single extension to Robert Mill’s original building, began in 1857 in a time of peace and was substantially completed by 1865 after the Civil War’s conclusion. A structure steeped in multiple facets of American history, its construction was planned to alleviate crowded office space conditions – a plan that was put on hold as the Department prepared for the Civil War. The war would transform Washington, D.C. from a small town into a major capital city, with the Treasury building emerging after the war as the nation’s premier office building” (Richard Cote).
“The architecture of the West Wing makes the Treasury building a national landmark and the leading classical revival structure in our nation’s capital as well as being an icon to the period of America’s Civil War” (Cote).