Washington Irving. Mr. Bryant’s address on his life and genius. Addresses by Everett, Bancroft, Longfellow, Felton, Aspinwall, King, Francis, Greene. Mr. Allibone’s sketch of his life and works. With eight photographs. New York: Putnam, 1860
First edition. Presentation copy inscribed by the published to S. Austin Allibone, who contributed the sketch of Irving’s life and works. Allibone ewas a leading American editor, author, and bibliographer who is best known for his Critical Dictionary of English Literature and British and American Authors. Other contributors include Longfellow, Bryant, Everett, and Bancroft.
Collection of Jewish organization banking documents from the Hibernia Savings and Loan Society. San Francisco, 1893-1895
These documents illustrate the business ties between the flourishing Irish and Jewish immigrant communities in late nineteenth-century San Francisco. These historic withdrawal notices and communications between the Hibernia Savings and Loan Society and several early Jewish immigrant institutions of San Francisco demonstrate the vitality of the successive waves of immigrant communities and the civic, religious, and economic institutions they established.
A Compendious Exercise for the Garrison and Field Ordnance, as Practised in the United States. Washington City: Weightman, 1810
FIRST EDITION of “the first official drill manual for either the American regular or militia artillery” (Graves). This manual constrains detailed instructions on procedures in firing and handling artillery and training soldiers in its use.
(SUPREME COURT.) CLARK ,ED
The Supreme Court. Washington, D.C.: Ed Clark, 1956
Completed in 1935, the magnificent neoclassical Supreme Court Building features the motto “Equal Justice Under the Law” on the west facade. This splendid, enormous color photograph was taken by famed LIFE magazine photographer Ed Clark: “Black Church Leaders pray on the Supreme Court steps for integration to succeed” (Herrera, Frank, Ed Clark: Decades).
(DEMOCRATIC CONVENTION, Chicago, 1968)
Collection of papers of John M. Bailey, Chairman of the Democratic National Committee, concerning the convention. Various places, 1968
The 1968 Democratic National Convention of 1968, held in Chicago, was a landmark event in American political history. John M. Bailey of Connecticut, who had helped to orchestrate Johnson’s landslide victory in 1964, oversaw the contentious presidential campaign of 1968, in which Robert Kennedy, Hubert Humphrey, Eugene McCarthy, and others sought the Democratic nomination. This is a collection of papers to and by longtime Democratic National Committee Chairman John M. Bailey.
Mapping the Transmississippi West 1540-1861. San Francisco: Institute for Historical Cartography, 1957-63
First edition, one of 1000 sets. Wheat’s massive Mapping of the Trans-Mississippi West is the definitive cartographic history of the American West, from early Spanish explorers through Lewis and Clark and on to the great geological surveys. The finely printed work is filled with hundreds of reproductions of maps and the riveting stories of the events those maps help to document.
(Jewish Immigration & Philanthropy)
Grand Concert in Aid of the Russian Jewish Refugees, Monday Eve’g, March 27, ’82, by the Handel and Haydn Society, in conjunction with Salem Oratorio Society, Lynn Choral Union, Taunton Beethoven Society, A Grand Orchestra…. Boston: Printed By Jewish Watchman Print[ers], 1882
This is the rare original announcement and program for a major early benefit concert supporting Jewish refugees from Russia. The concert was held at Mechanics Hall in Boston in 1882. The featured conductors are Carl Zerrahn and George Henschel. Henschel had become the first conductor of the Boston Symphony Orchestra a year earlier. Here he leverages his position to support Jewish refugees.
(STATUE OF LIBERTY)
Liberty’s Torch in Madison Square Park. no publisher, negative ca. 1876, made from a print, late 19th century.
The torch of the Statue of Liberty was exhibited in Madison Square Park, New York to raise funds for the statue’s completion. The torch remained in the park from 1876 through 1882.